Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Blurry Lines

My apologies for my lack of blogging! (would it be narcasistic to think anyone noticed other than my mom?!) Life gets away from us all sometimes, doesn't it? Amazing how the minutes fly by. It appears the busier we get the shorter the days. Juggling life and work is a difficult task for anyone. But for a CEO, or anyone who loves what they do, the lines become blurred. Where does one start and the other stop? To some the line is clear. Work at 8:30AM and home at 5:30PM. I suspect most who read this, much like myself, don’t have such a clear line. Is that a bad thing? Depends who you ask. I had the privilege of going to Rome last year. As we were taking a tour of the Vatican I snuck outside and started to check my Blackberry. Unbeknown to me, Jerry snapped a picture in front of St. Peters with me sending an email. Some look at the picture and think I am nuts and other look at the picture and pat me on the back.

The day you start your own company or become passionate about the company you work for you erase that line. There is no “leave it at the office”. The balance is how to manage that without stressing yourself out and effecting those around you. Personally, I don’t think there is anything wrong with catching up on some work, reading the occasional (very vague word J) email while on vacation, etc etc etc. I am fortunate enough to be with someone who understands what it is like to be with an Entrepreneur. The guy who rolls over at 3AM and checks his email, which puts me at ease. I think I would be more stressed if I was unable to read that email or take that phone call.

How do you balance life and work? Are you able to deprogram every now and then?

No comments:

Post a Comment