Wednesday, January 26, 2011

What gets you going in the morning?

Motivation is an amazing thing! Some are motivated by money (although I truly feel it is a short term motivator), others get fuel from the thrill of closing the deal, maybe juniors college education is your motivation, a new car, a bigger house, and a plethora of reasons. What is it that motivates you? Personally, I think I find a different reason almost daily. Not always intentional but something's just appear (mentally that is J). I am in the middle of redoing my house from the roof to the floor and everything in between. Amazing how a contractors bill can become a motivating factor for a day or two. But as I dig deeper I find my motivation to be something of bigger meaning. Now don’t get me wrong, like most, I want to better myself and my family. There aren’t many people who will tell you they don’t like the smell of a new car or be able to buy themselves things they want, but how much fuel does that really give you? At what point do you have all you want and material things no longer get you going in the morning? I had 2 very close friends, one was extremely wealthy and the titan of his industry (who we will call Tony), the other was a music teacher and made a modest wage (who we will call Seth). Tony was always depressed and truly unhappy with everything in life while Seth loved life and truly enjoyed going to work in the morning. As a young kid just starting off in life I could not fathom why Tony, who had big houses, fast cars and a large boat could not be happy. How could someone with so much be so unhappy. Then I realized he truly didn’t have what I thought he did. Seth, who didn’t have as many material possessions as Tony, had things of even greater value. A family that loved him, friends that mattered and a job that he loved. All these things were Seth's fuel.

This blog will be short and sweet. In the end, whatever your motivation is, find it. Make sure it has meaning to you and be sure you are motivated for the right reasons.

Until next time……

No comments:

Post a Comment